Thursday 26 September 2013

The Solution

So previously I blogged about getting a refurbished version of the Mac Book Air since I said its SSD storage is much bigger and for a cheaper price too like $200 difference, however....
as it did say it was built in 2012 I became hesitant. 

Like why would I be paying for a one year old model? (。・ω・。)



As the impatient person as I am, as soon as I finished work I nagged the bf to take me to my nearest Apple store to check things out.




My first impression of the place was that...wew its busy lol secondly though, I disliked all the information I wanted to ask, the reps referred me back to their website.
I was thinking ...I HAVE CHECKED YOUR WEBSITE SO MANY TIMES, STOP REFERRING ME TO IT (/ ̄(エ) ̄)/


Like in all honesty the only reason I am asking is to see for a better price but I guess this is Apple and they wont budge. Not gonna say I enjoyed it but I can understand.




The new models, base had i5 processor 128 SSD and 4 GB of ram. Which may not seem much, especially since I want to use this as my main machine. However I had to keep telling my bf, I still had my old machine which I can use for all the recreational entertainment and media, my main use for my Mac would be:



1. tertiary work

2. video and photo editing which the finished product would be stored away into my external hard drive anyways.

3. Social networking and keeping in touch with friends (many of whom I felt I have neglected thanks to my constant gaming)




Aside from the base model there was the upgraded version, $1499 with


  • 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • 4GB memory
  • 256GB flash storage1
So essentially I'd be paying $1449-$1249= $200 for the extra 128 of storage space ( so $200 for double its storage) 

I mean $200 isn't a lot and I considered just getting the upgraded model but then it's like...$200 I can use that for something else haha this laptop as amazing as it will be as an edition to my life, it isn't my life. So I don't need to get the best of the best just to enjoy it.

I asked if there'll be any promos but the rep said no, maybe around Dec-Feb when it is the education sales period. I even inquired about the free printer, as my friend got one when she first purchased a mac....which was like 3 years ago? LOL ok so Im a bit late and I didn't expect them to have any which they didn't... so I said I'll think about it and headed off to JB

I looked on the JB prices and they were a bit higher than the Apple store and I wasn't sure if they offered any student discounts which it is SUPPOSE to be $150 off but apparently they only give $50 like WTH >.>

throughout the entire ordeal I thought of just waiting for maybe MYER to have their 10% off all Apple products instead lol which would have been cheaper.

Did I mention I was impatient? Yep I am so I couldn't wait haha prior to going to JB I was still very hesitant on purchasing a new one which would meant I had to fork out more money for lesser storage, not to mention the previous JB I went to (before heading off to the Apple store) the rep there told me all Macs would NOT have any word or word like programmes installed, so it would be up to me to purchase a $158 (it was on sale already) package. 

Kinda why I thought I'd better head off to the Apple store and see what education product/prices I can squeeze out of them.

Anyways so here I am at the JB store (the new one, AFTER I went to the Apple store) and there was this really nice Apple rep there who asked if I needed help or have any questions, off I went telling her my dilemma and she gave me answers to it all!

First off, the last year refurbished models, as nice as they may seem, actually use an older generation processor. In other words, regardless of what ram or storage or high the number is for the processing speed, it would not match up to the current ones! Secondly, she went out of her way and brought out her own this years model 13" mac air. Showed me her battery life which was at 95% and stated, she charged it yesterday!! I even asked about the heating issue as my bf was adamant Mac Air was too thin to have a cooling fan, she reassured me that it does and it was located at the top near the monitor so above the key board. Which is a relief as we all know Aussie summers can be a torture to all things moving lol

She even stated I could just get a 1TB external hard drive for my storage issues which was exactly the same as my own solution. I wanted external storage as it gives that extra protection to our data and even if my machine breaks down I'll still have all the information kept else where to retrieve later on.
My very first laptop had a virus and it refused to let me log back on, it constantly went on a loop of trying to open windows so thanks to that, I lost all my old high school digital photos (´Д`。)

With that in mind I went back to Apple to get the student pricing and just get this over and done with~ Thinking back, probably would have been better if I'd just ask JB to price match with Apple and offer discounts on covers etc (; ̄д ̄) stupid asian mind wasn't fast enough, always think of better solutions AFTER I go and buy something lol


Whilst back in the Apple store, I found the same rep and spoke with her again, thought it'd be nicer to purchase it from the person who served me. Cos of commission and stuff~ aren't I da best? 

Long story short (well as short as I can go)



I purchased it!

 heres to my base model Mac Book Air 13' (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)


Wrote this entry up using it too haha still had to get used to the copy and paste function which I find a bit annoying to always having to use the toolbar at the top. I am sure there is another way which I would need to discover. Also need to discover how to edit movies and photos efficiently on this~

But at least I have downloaded VLC player for viewing all other movies etc and also have google chrome installed as the bf suggest it. However I don't see much difference, google chrome and safari as after the initial page, I'll be on the google search page anyways... 



Quick discovery, Ive been pressing control when I should have been pressing command!

HA I GENIUS ヽ(^‥^=ゞ)




As soon as I wrote I genius I almost had a melt down as I accidentally swiped out of this page with my stubby fingers and ended up on a white page with no info @.@ Luckily blogger saved it ><



Guess this will be the end for now, gonna spend the rest of today having some fun with this laptop hehe 
also going to update my iphone to iOS7 from its iOS5 LOL yeh its about time~




Take care and until next time,


xoxo M3 (QiQi)

No comments:

Post a Comment