Wednesday 25 September 2013

Dilemmas!

Recently I just got paid from my new job -dances- 

This undisclosed amount is double what I normally get back with my old work due to the hours I used to get compared to now. 
But here comes my dilemma! 
Should I or should I not, get an Apple Macbook Air?!


dun dun dunnnn......
 this purchase alone will set me back around $1.1k AUSD which to some isn't alot, but for a part timer, this IS a lot to me, added I can't save money to save my life LOL

I've done some research and from my bf's input, refurbished units are usually good to go for, as there WAS a fault a first, but people brought it back to exchange so to make them resellable, the stores would have to then recheck everything to ensure it is resellable...RIGHT?  

I honestly am clueless about these things and previously I thought refurbished was really bad like faulty products they try to resell ヾ(=゚・゚=)ノ 


My reasons to get another laptop even though I have a mini HP Pavillion 11' dm-1 AND a Lenovo 15" 

Dm-1 HP pavillion- stock photo, mines more worn out lol

Lenovo 15" g560  -stock photo mines WAY more worn out

are fairly justified imho (in my honest opinion)





Lenovo~

First off my $600 Lenovo I got it before the start of my tertiary studies which is  nearing a good 3 years now. The laptop is still fully functional even though I spilled a few drinks on it lol and everything is decent except I did notice start and turning off is starting to have issues. 

When I turn it off, it may get stuck on the "windows is shutting down now" with the blue screen and after work Id come back to see its still like that for 8 hours. Then there's its processor which is getting laggier and slower which is no surprise since I don't service it and have loaded alot onto it. Main issue to the lag is that my WORD starter 2013 hardly loads, and when it does, it'll get stuck on "no responding" >.> FML absolutely HATE it when it does that when I am about to an assignment.

As this Lenovo has been with me for awhile and does contain all my games etc  I will keep it, solely as a gaming unit for when I am bored perhaps :p 

I do usually config the system to allow all the software to restore itself to the correct place (something I learnt whilst doing Business Informations Systems, I loved my tutor/lecturer she was and is awesome and taught us so many things like...how to track peoples IP to their physical location... LOL such a good stalker thing...)




HP Pavillion~

As for this little baby I purchased it after a work mate and friend told me she got one and she loves it due to its portability its decency as a laptop and its cheap price (ok maybe not in those words, more like "its really good and cheap" V=(° °)=V)

Prior to purchasing I did do my research and there was a ton of good reviews on it and I am currently using this at work to write this entry up! (Haha Im sorry lappy I didnt intend to betray you by using you to write up me wanting to buy another laptop *(*´∀`*)☆

Pros: Small and portable, super long lasting battery life, CAN play games as long as its on low settings and so long as the server isn't populated 

Cons: processing speed is dependent on battery. If I unplug it will get slow and sometimes unresponsive. Cannot use photo editing software due to its slow speed and lack of processing power + small ram (2GB can upgrade) 

My HP feels like a laptop which can be great but it is only 70% there for me.




What a girl wants~


I want a portable laptop, powerful enough for editing photos and videos AND to be used for my tertiary work also.

I plan on cutting down my gaming hours until I can cut off permanently, I feel like an addict trying to slowly get rid of this bad addiction which has costed me about the same amount as ( highlight to see) maybe 1-2 mac book airs -end

I feel as though with the mac book Id be able to shift my addiction of gaming on to more real life addictions like blogging and going to events and taking care of myself + earning monies ofc I know I am a very obsessive person and once I get addicted to something, its all I can think of.

At high school, during music class we used to use the old Mac Computers, you know those really big monitor ones, and the one thing which stuck out the most was my love for garage band. I love it love love love it so much haha, we even made our own compositions and had it recorded on a CD I still listen to my unfinished track!

Maybe when I get a new laptop I can edit it and upload to youtube (●⌒∇⌒●)



with all the talk of the Mac Book Air 
here is the refurbished version I was thinking of purchasing





refurbished units are great as they add more things onto it




here is a comparison for the normal 13" mac book air...
Prices for normal mac book air

As you can see the prices are much higher, especially for the 13" units added, for $1249 which is $100 more than the refurbished unit, I get almost 100 GB LESS storage ヽ(  ̄д ̄;)ノ


With the extra $100 I could pay for a cover or education software etc so yar for $100 to get a brand new one OR get an older one but better specs hrmm....

I did do my research onto checking prices for education mac's which are a bit cheaper...
Education Macs for tertiary students and teachers

A bit cheaper, not by much but hey any discount is a good discount~


Aside from Mac Book Air, I did consider getting Mac Book PRO. 
As my bf stated if I wanted an all rounder laptop why not a pro instead of air, pros can play games and also have its own cooling fan which is necessary for summer time but for me, the issue is. Pros don't have SSD's which is the faster processor thingy and the new generation thing so since I am forking out a grand for this WHY would I want to pay for last generation stuff?





What are SSD?

All-Flash Storage:

Part of what makes MacBook Air so responsive is that it’s designed entirely around flash storage. Not only does this make MacBook Air much lighter and more portable than traditional notebooks, it also provides faster access to data and gives you instant-on capability. This next-generation flash storage is up to 4x faster than a traditional 5400-rpm notebook hard drive and faster than the previous-generation MacBook Air.4 So when you flip open MacBook Air, it starts up in seconds. Even after a month in standby mode, the screen springs to life. Apps launch quickly. And with no moving parts, flash storage stays quiet.

(Apple website store.apple.com.au)

If you think about it, the lack of moving bits will ensure the items last a bit longer also, as there is no wear and tear, theoretically anyways.

I have looked on other laptops as $1000 is a lot of money, but all other ones are either too bulky or enable too much gaming capabilities which may end up making me counterproductive by giving me the option to play even more hardcore online games lol

I'm always thinking add a few $100 and I can get Alienware but I'm not trying to get even more into gaming  (╯︵╰,) 

Added another bonus of Apple is that, due to its exclusive-ness there isn't much and I hope there wouldn't be anymore, viruses. Normal windows are more easily prone to malware and viruses, I know since I've had a few infect my older laptop which is not functional anymore so, bye bye old photos 。゚(゚ノД`゚)゚



Yes I am very biased on my decision to picking Apple, but before you think I am an Apple fan, I am not. Ive been using windows ever since we had computers and laptops, the only one Apple item I own currently is the iPhone 4s still using iOS5 LOL

I guess after being with windows for so long its good to have a change right?

If anyone has any opinions or advice please feel free to comment~

I might head off to an Apple store right after work in 45mins time and go purchase it, if they have it. I'll leave it up to fate to see if the one store I look at will or will not have the refurbished version (*゜▽゜ノノ゛☆






Take care and until next time!




xoxo M3 (QiQi)

No comments:

Post a Comment