Saturday 20 July 2013

Asian blonde! 

My definition: when you try to dye your hair blonde but unfortunately your hair is too damn resistant to go all the way to light, and there you get stuck with the 4-5 stages of awkward color!

Oddly enough though, as an Asian person, as our skins undertones are normally of a yellowish colour, not yellow yellow but most would know understand right? lol 

The yellowish orangey colour my hair ended up going in my honest opinion actually goes rather well and compliments my skin tone! Even my mother complimented on how much whiter my skin is and this coming from an Asian parent who was utterly against me dying my hair as it was "killing my hair" and that "all your hair would fall out and you'd be bold" Gotta love Asian parents! All their words of encouragement LOL

Now I would go on about skin tone, however I am ill equipped and even after doing "some" research, I am in no position to actually state much 'facts' about skin undertones other than from my own experience, therefore if you'd like to find out more, visit musicalhousesblog 's post on Asian skin undertones.

.... back to my hair LOL

So after seeing and knowing my friends got their hair done at the price of $200 I thought....why the heck would I pay someone $200 to bleach and kill my hair and then to dye it, when no offence to any hair dressers but I have seen and experienced some baaaaaaaaaaaad salon experience where the end result is far different than what I intended and worse off I had to pay for something I didn't even want.

Being the bargain hunting Asian I am, I went straight to the DIY hair dye option, hair bleaching.


Here is the current after photo of my hair

My what a hairy face I got


I had to do two sessions of bleaching as the first one turned semi disastrous due to the bleach bleaching too fast on one side (was old roots hair that had more dye on it therefore the  chemicals reacted to the bleach and it went yellow faster or something) where as the lower parts of my hair were still developing slowly, therefore when I washed it out...it turned into this..

mmm that orange

So hideous! -runs and hides-


horrible, ugly two toned extremely contrasting reverse ombre hair LOL (ombre is gorgeous, my hair, wasn't.)


Luckily I stupidly bought a hair colour dye which was in Ash blonde, so I quickly popped that on top of the too yellow too bleached hair and it softened it out a bit.

Just a cam-whoar taking selfies even with horrible hair LOL

I wasn't kidding when I wrote horribly contrasting >:


I had to go to work looking like that, needless to say I had tons of staring! -glares back-

Although it took a few days, I did end up liking it a bit as it was a tad different, however I have had light brown hair before, it wasn't a big deal and because this time I REALLY wanted something different, I plucked up the courage to go and purchase new bleach to re-do! 

Bottom was too dark for my liking

House lighting is yellow tinted, so hair looks more blondish lol

In semi natural white base lighting, look at those roots urgh >:


Prior to actually re-bleaching again, I had to do some research, not only to know how to do it properly BUT also to see and prepare myself for the worst. Whilst looking through google images for ombre hair/bleached Asian hair, I somehow stumbled across this girl, Wengie .

Turns out she's literally done what I had just did and then some more later on, which helps ALOT. There's nothing better than trying to find tutorials and then to actually find someone else's experience of the situation you are going through. It gives a really good in depth insight into (wew so much in's) the good and bad aspects of it and we can learn from it, before attempting it ourselves! Plus she's also another Aussie!

Following her steps, I separated my hair parts, to give it a good separation and it helped me to remember which section I had or have not put bleach on yet for the good overall coverage



Going from bottom then slowly working the way to the top, I was making sure the bottom be developed longer so it'll look a bit more even-ish compared to my yellow top half. 

If its your first time bleaching and your hair is completely virgin (no dyes no chemicals nothing) I would recommend you take a bit of bleach mixture, pull a strand of your hair and dump it in to see how long it'll roughly take to bleach and what colours you will get out of it. 

This is probably the safest way I can advice on testing bleach, because even though most say 30mins is good developing  time, everyone's hair is different, so you should make sure the bleach works for YOU.

The hotter your hair gets means the more the bleach is working its way through, so I popped on the spare shower cap to heat things up a bit faster ;D

Now after all my time, effort, sweat and tears, the end result was a nice strawberry blonde....a gentle way of saying orangey yellowy blonde! (^*-*^) Voilà! 



Unedited, no filter, just plain old Asian blonde


As you can see my hair, being the resistant bish it is, STILL has parts which are dark brownish but honestly I'm not too fussed anymore lol having a bit of different tones in your hair does make it look more alive anyway's AND when my roots grow out, it wouldn't be too contrasting as it'll match the not so bleached sections. (YES I AM BEING OPTIMISTIC, as someone told me, if you look confident, you can wear anything and be anyone ;D)  










Lastly, you all probably, semi maybe sort of been wondering how much did this actually cost me....well


These are the products I used on my first session of bleach, all from Priceline (*-* \/) because I am a member I get those member reward points!
Hi-Lift bleach powder $4.99/Innovative 20vol developer $6.99/sol-fine ash blonde $13.99/ Hair Coloring Set-Daiso $2.80

The hair colouring set, which includes x2 pairs of gloves, ear protectors, shower cap, cape and a brush was a god sent from Daiso for $2.80! I've never left my bathroom so clean after doing my hair LOL 
It was also essential when I had to re-do my hair a few days later.

These are for the second session.
from Left: Innovative 20vol developer $6.99/Edward Beau argan oil conditioner $9.99 (its on sale now for $7.99)/Hi-lift bleach powder tube (normal) $6.99/ EB hi-lite brite shampoo for blonde hair $9.99

If you are going to bleach your hair like mine, you are going to definitely need to invest on some good shampoo and conditioner. I chose EB Argan oil conditioner as it contained Argan oil, which in my honest opinion is some of the best stuff for your hair! It nourishes it, keeps it oily (not sticky just shiny healthy oily) and soft (great for dead ends) and the blonde shampoo is actually tinted blue, which states it keeps away the yellowness and brassiness (YAY) and lightens your blondes (dances)

On taking care of your hair, aside from Argan conditioner and shampoo, I was actually first introduced to Argan oil which is absolutely amazing for hair treatment, best yet its a light everyday treatment!

Short story on how I stumbled upon it, got my hair permed, not the pretty Japanese one but the original AFRO perm because I wanted a wave when it grew out (great planning ahead girl >.>), needless to say I fried my hair to a crisp and had an afro 1 hour before I had work ~.~  I quickly ducked into the nearest hair salon and was introduced to this baby which was ON SALE -dances-

NAK Aromas Argan Oil $39.99
My first and the best Argan oil treatment I've had on my hair. This bottle has lasted me for 2 years (yes I tend to keep things way beyond normal time frame LOL if it works it works!) Was from price attack, and it was the last set they had $39.99 including shampoo and conditioner, what a bargain!

PriceAttack <-- where you can purchase from

GetPrice <--- feel free to compare prices! Shop like a bargain hunter :) save money and be satisfied!

beautyheavenReview <-- other peoples reviews on the product


I for one LOVE bargains, so I do tend to search online and in-store quite a bit, I always wish someone else would do the work for me so I hope those sites end up helping someone else. :)

Ps: best thing is NAK is an ALL Aussie brand ;D gotta support the Aussies!

Pps: if you kept count, my total 2 sessions costed me around about $60 or so ;D I had full control over how I wanted to go about with my hair and ended up rather pleased.

Before heading out
Over all in the end, I am loving my new hair, its something different and is super bright and cheerful colour, great for the cold dull Melbourne winter!!! (we don't even get snow ~.~)


With so much to say but so little time/space (and I rather not ramble on too much) hope everyone has enjoyed my journey to blondesville 

take care and until next time,

xoxo M3


6 comments:

  1. that pic w/ "Unedited, no filter, just plain old Asian blonde"
    looks nicest of all ;o

    ReplyDelete
  2. xD ty ty! I'm guessing its lousiaferrrrreiolololol?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should make a subsection writing your FW experience ;o would be fun to see that lols

    ReplyDelete
  4. its in progress, already have a draft of it just being lazies atm

    ReplyDelete
  5. :O it would include how much u luv me :D?

    ReplyDelete